Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Olde Monsters: Money



Some aspects of monstrosity are those which come hand in hand with living in a capitalist society. Money makes the world go around; there is no limit to what can be put up for sale.

Trinkets, food, clothing, potted plants: these are the obvious examples of things which are available to be bought or sold. Buying any of these objects exemplify (even as this example simplifies) the utilitarian aspect of money. The idea of weaving yards of material out of cotton fibers to barter it for apples does not appeal to me. I would much rather wipe the butts of the elderly or speak in broken English with Thai people to make money I can buy apples with.

I’m not concerned about the buying and selling of tee-shirts or fruit, but I quake at the idea that happiness or love (themselves intangible and abstract) are able to be bought with the same money with which I buy socks. I do not feel loving, loved or even particularly happy when I buy socks. Even when I feel grateful at purchasing fruit, my gratitude stems not from ownership of fruit, but from the growls in my abdomen which are quenched when I eat the fruit.

I fear for the future of the beautiful young man pictured here. His pose indicates that he not only believes in the statement graffitied behind him but is enthralled with its message. In order to counteract this message, I will buy socks fervently and with growing depression until I can make this person understand that money does not equal love/happiness. I encourage all of you to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. That boy is beautiful! However, I think he wanted to let people know that it was he who was, in fact, the cause of nut pain, or blue balls (see tiny quote). Gimme your address/e-mail and I promise to keep in better contact/send you the pretty great new Vampire Weekend cd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha spot on.

    I'll do that and trade you for the pretty great new animal collective EP

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have no idea what you mean. I always feel loved and loving/happy when I purchase socks. And the exhilaration that follows once Ive purchased and owned a grapefruit....well, its just that intense.

    Capitalism rules!!!! USA! USA! USA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete